Whether or not this episode is any fun to listen to, I don’t know, but we kinda think it’s our best episode yet. For better or worse, our ability to surf down pop culture rabbit trails is on full display here. What other podcast jumps from a discussion of zorks (not corks, zorks) to the Super Mario Bros. movie to the musical stylings of Roxette? It’s either amazing or….well, I’m just going to stick with amazing.
- Mark Wahlberg talks to animals.
- We discuss who would have been a worse casting choice than Mila Kunis (hint: starts with a ‘P’ and rhymes with Farishilton).
- Heather waxes nostalgic on the moment she discovered that Samus was really a girl.
- We each offer up our deepest insights as to why video game adaptations consistently suck.
- Luke’s talent for pulling puns out of thin air continues to amaze.
- We discover that Super Mario Bros. has a surprisingly awesome soundtrack; and then proceed to take a trip down memory lane through it (early ’90s glam rock FTW!).
- Also, we sing some. This point is, arguably, not a highlight
- Watch the marketing might of Nintendo circa 1989 in this scene from The Wizard.
- Somehow miss the “Mark Wahlberg Talks to Animals” skit on SNL? See what all the fuss is about.
- Need more cute in your life? Be sure to visit my wife’s uber-adorable website, Thimbly Things, where she crafts, bakes, and generally charms the socks off of anyone who gets too close.
- Visit Don Sebastiani & Sons for more information on Plungerhead wine and zorks.
- You can watch the entire Super Mario Bros. movie on YouTube in 10 parts. We don’t recommend it.
- You can also find all the songs that we discussed on YouTube (isn’t it great?): Queen’s“Tie Your Mother Down”; Megadeth’s “Breakpoint”; Joe Satriani’s “Speed of Light”; and Roxette’s “Joyride” and “Almost Unreal.”